Re: Howto add firewire printer ???

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> helices wrote:
>> * Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> [2006:07:08:19:12:57-0500]
>> scribed:

>> <snip />

Do you you have an ieee1394 backend in /usr/lib/cups/backend or
/usr/lib/cups/backend-available?

I don't see one on my system.  This may be an omission in the
packaging.

>>> I think I didn't even know that firewire printers existed...
>>>
>>> What is the printer's brand and model?
>>
>> Epson Stylus Photo R1800.  I know that I can use USB; but, being
>> a high falutin' photo printer, I hope that the throughput will be
>> better with ieee1394 ...
>
> Well, sure ieee1394 is faster.  That's why I only use ieee1394
> external HDDs.
>
> Truthfully, though, I wonder if "fast USB 2.0" is the printer's
> bottleneck.

With such a printer, it's quite common for the page rendering it to be
CPU bound when printing at a high resolution.  A single page could
easily weigh in at over 500 MiB of print data.

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh
   `-    GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848   Please sign and encrypt your mail.