sound and tv card

Hello,
Im using etch. Some relevant specs of my box:
Athl xp, mainboard msi with sound onboard (but using
sb live 5.1 pci), hauppage tv card (conexant
-cx88...).
I had no problem with sound at start and it worked
wonderfully out of the box. The tv card didn't work
however (tvtime). I recompiled the kernel and added as
much stuff as possible that looked related with the
conexant thing and hauppage and video. After reboot
!it worked! -only the image though-. there is no way I
can make the sound work. Im about to give up on this.
It is sad because this is the only little detail that
is lacking in order to not need windows xp at all on
this box. The rest is wonderful -well sometimes things
are a bit fragile but what the heck Im forever patient
and willing to test things with linux since it is more
than  computing stuff... you know what I mean-.
More info:
Now, when I open KMix or so I have 2 options for
cards: the SB live 5.1 and the "Conexant CX8811". If I
choose the conexant I get no sound at all. On the
other hand the tvtime program doesn't (to my
knowledge) let me choose the sound output. In any case
I could not find possibilities to connect the tv card
to the sb live with an audio cable or smthing like
that.
any ideas on this?
many thanks,

Felipe.