kernel issue with Belkin ATMEL PCMCIA wireless card??

Hi,

I am having some difficulties on one of my Debian Thinkpads with my
Belkin wireless PCMCIA card (manfid: 0x01bf, 0x3302), and thought I
would post the issue to this list before issuing a bug report. Perhaps
it is a configuration issue.

On my a21m I have had the card working for a long time, save for kernel
2.6.15 which inexplicably did not work. Now with 2.6.16 the card is
back and running again, with no configuration changes by me.

So now I am trying to get the Belkin card working on my 600e and kernel
2.6.17. I have tried to make the configuration the same on both
machines, though both have a roll-my-own kernel and there are
substantial kernel differences.

The behavior I am seeing on the 600e is that the modules seem to load
fine and produce no errors. But DHCP times out cannot successfully get
an IP. I have another wireless card that works just fine on this 600e,
so I think the problem lies within the kernel.

--------------------------------------

On the 600e (which does not work) I see the following:

$ uname -r: 2.6.17-tp600e.7

/var/log/syslog:
kernel: pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0
kernel: eth0: Atmel at76c50x. Version 0.98. MAC 00:30:bd:d0:16:d0

$ cat /proc/driver/atmel
Driver version:         0.98
Firmware version:       4.1 build 13
Firmware location:      atmel_at76c502e-wpa.bin loaded by hotplug
MAC memory type:        EEPROM
Regulatory domain:      USA
Host CRC checking:      Off
WPA-capable firmware:   Yes
Current state:          Scanning

$ lsmod | grep atmel
atmel_cs                7488  1
atmel                  31844  1 atmel_cs
pcmcia                 34308  5 atmel_cs
firmware_class          9568  2 atmel,pcmcia
crc32                   4224  2 atmel,pcmcia
pcmcia_core            37584  4
atmel_cs,pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic

On the a21m (which does work) I am seeing:

# uname -r: 2.6.16-a21m.19

/var/log/syslog:
kernel: pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0
cardmgr[2441]: socket 0: Belkin F5D6020ver2 with ATMEL chipset
kernel: eth1: Atmel at76c50x. Version 0.98. MAC 00:30:bd:d0:16:d0

#  cat /proc/driver/atmel
Driver version:         0.98
Firmware version:       4.1 build 13
Firmware location:      atmel_at76c502e-wpa.bin loaded by hotplug
MAC memory type:        EEPROM
Regulatory domain:      USA
Host CRC checking:      Off
WPA-capable firmware:   Yes
Current state:          Ready

# lsmod | grep atmel
atmel_cs                6240  1
atmel                  28676  1 atmel_cs
pcmcia                 26900  5 atmel_cs

A couple noteworthy differences are that the working a21m has fewer
modules loaded, and seems to still be using cardmgr, which I believe is
deprecated but apparently still works better then the new kernel? Both
machines are still using hotplug, no udev.

Any suggestions for resolution would be appreciated.

Clayton