[solved] Re: no key strokes from remote console when no keyboard attached

just for completeness:

to have the keyboard driver enabled regardless whether a keyboard is attached or not, one solution is to return Zero in the atkbd_probe() function of the atkbd input module if the atkbd->connect() function was called for the serio Kbd port.

so far, frank.

Frank Hempel schrieb:
Hello,

I'm facing the problem that when I have booted my server with no keyboard attached and debian is up and running, the OS does not recognize any key stroke I send through a remote service facility.

Important to note: the installed remote service card snoops the vga information and puts keyboard/mouse events on the bus as it would do a real keybord/mouse. So for the Bootloader and OS it's no difference that events came from the remote service card or the real keyboard. But unfortunatly the remote service card is not recognized as keyboard when the linux keyboard driver checks for one. So if no real keyboard was attached, the keyboard driver doesn't seem to be activate (it is comiled in the kernel).

Plugging a keyboard lets the kernel print
"Input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0"
to the console and from now on the OS recognizes key strokes from both keyboard and remote service card. When I detach the keyboard now the keyboard driver seems to stay active because key strokes from the remote service card get still recognized (what is what I want).

So my question is: How can I "trigger" the keyboard driver to be active from the start even when no real keyboard was found?

I'm running a Debian Sarge with kernel 2.6.8. The following gives the kernel configuration of probably relevant switches.

Thanks for your hints and pointers!

Ciao, Frank.

#
# Input I/O drivers