Re: Replying to list

Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
>>> I wouldn't call Thunderbird incompetent, but your point is
>>> well taken.
>>
>> Tbird is lacking in specific competence.
>>
>> Being able to import mbox files is another aggravating area of
>>  incompetence.
>
> I would rather say: the inability to keep and save all your mails
>  in mbox files is another aggravating area of incompetence.
>
> It is rather annoying and a possible threat to
> mail-archive-integrity that Tbird stores all mails of a folder in
>  a single file.

That's why Maildir and MH were invented.  Most IMAP servers use
Maildir, and installing it on your machine and using it to store
all your email is no great difficulty.

> The user has to 'compact' their folders in order to really
> 'delete' messages out of that  file that were moved to the Trash
> and expunged from the Trash long ago...
>
> For users of virus-ridden OSes that also means that e-mail
> viruses remain on the system until they are deleted, expunged and
>  compacted (yes, three individual manual steps!)
>
> [For users of linux it's the same three steps.]

But you have to do that no matter what storage method you use.

The benefit to using Maildir is that a filesystem hiccup will only
trash one email instead of putting the whole mbox file into a weird
state.  File locking is also a big deal.  Postfix can deliver emails
to ~/Maildir while the MUA is reading mails and there won't be any
problems regarding the MTA trying to "add on to the end of the mbox"
while the MUA tries to compact it.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA