Re: SOLVED Re: xorg 7 and ATI proprietary driver (fglrx)

Liam O'Toole wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 07:20:02 -0500

[SNIP]

Is there an ATI Debian package?

Yes, but only in unstable. The packages of interest are fglrx-driver
and fglrx-kernel-src. The latter can conveniently be built using
module-assistant. I use these on my Thinkpad, although they can
be a bit flaky.

that's what I'm using but I think the ATI change in /etc/profile was from before, back from times when I used their rpm package (converted to deb)

overall the quality of the driver and packaging is pretty sad, like freezing if you have more than one X server or not being able to get console back after X server exits, nasty behavior like writing into /etc/profile, aticonfig overwriting (and rearranging in weird ways) your xorg.conf (at least they create a backup) etc. Considering they could get people doing the stuff for free (there is an ongoing effort to create free drivers) it is kinda funny...

<vent>look how far we got since the days of free and pretty much perfect drivers for voodoo with openGL and everything</vent>

	erik