Re: SOLVED Re: xorg 7 and ATI proprietary driver (fglrx)

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 07:20:02 -0500

[SNIP]

> Is there an ATI Debian package?

Yes, but only in unstable. The packages of interest are fglrx-driver
and fglrx-kernel-src. The latter can conveniently be built using
module-assistant. I use these on my Thinkpad, although they can
be a bit flaky.

> AFAICT, the NVIDIA binary driver install app (not the Debian
> package, but the one directly from nvidia.com) is well-behaved.
> (The only file it seems to modify is xorg.conf, and puts it's files
> in standard locations.)

I use the Debian nvidia packages on my cheap-and-cheerful desktop
machine. They are very reliable, and I haven't noticed any packaging
misconduct.

[SNIP]

--

Liam