SOLVED Re: xorg 7 and ATI proprietary driver (fglrx)

Liam O'Toole wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:04:58 -0700
Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote:

[SNIP]

The next thing I would check is that various symlinks in /usr/lib/
point to the fglrx libraries rather than the mesa ones. You should
at least look at /usr/lib/libGL.so* and /usr/lib/libGLcore.so*. The
command 'strace fglrx' will help you to identify any others.

I checked that before and it looks ok (diversion by fglrx-driver to: /usr/lib/fglrx/diversions/libGL.so.1.2) however I did strace fglrxinfo and here's what it revealed:

open("/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri//fglrx_dri.so", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

  it indeed is not in that directory (it's in /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so).

now imagine this, it turns out that ATI tools modified my /etc/profile (2005/07/13 or before):

### START ATI FGLRX ###
### Automatically modified by ATI Proprietary driver scripts
### Please do not modify between START ATI FGLRX and END ATI FGLRX

doing nasty things with LD_LIBRARY_PATH, LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH which is why it didn't work. One simple command (unset LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH) and it works again.

  thanks a lot for the pointers!

	erik