To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 11:00 PM
Subject: Re: Scripting question

On Monday 19 June 2006 13:00, Anil Gupte wrote:
Why does

echo /l3dat/${Serial_Nuumber}.tar.gz

give me

/l3dat/ TLO00003.tar.gz

In other words, why is it putting an etra space in there (after the
second /) and how can I get rid of it?

And yes, there is no space there.  I checked by using

Serial_Number=${Serial_Number##" "}

Have you tried concatenating two strings?  Starting with:

tdir=/l3dat/
tfile=${Serial_Number}.tar.gz

then concatenated them?

If that works, great, if you still get a leading space on tfile, try:

tfile=${tfile# }

AFTER you've set $tfile.  It's a regex that will eliminate a leading
space.

Hal