[joseparrella@cantv.net: Re: [wohler@newt.com: XMMS can no longer play CDs]]

----- Forwarded message from Jose Parrella <joseparrella@cantv.net> -----

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:53:14 -0400
From: Jose Parrella <joseparrella@cantv.net>
To: David Moreno Garza <damog@damog.net>
Subject: Re: [wohler@newt.com: XMMS can no longer play CDs]

I've noticed this behaviour in XMMS. I used to add /dev/cdrom to the
playlist but I've found out that you need to add the mountpoint instead
(/cdrom or /media/cdrom) in recent versions.

This is actually being reported by other users [1] yet I couldn't get
into the Bugzilla as of June 19th., 1845 UTC. I browsed the README [2]
however and I found out that the author of the CD Audio Player module
says that you need to add the mountpoint to the playlist, as you defined
it in the preferences.

Jose

[1] http://forum.xmms.org/viewtopic.php?t=1528&highlight=dev+cdrom
[2] http://xmms.org/docs/readme.php

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:47:16 -0500
David Moreno Garza <damog@damog.net> wrote:

> FYI.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> -----
>
> Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:40:54 -0700
> From: Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> cc: David Moreno Garza <damog@debian.org>
> Subject: XMMS can no longer play CDs
>
> As of the last update or two ago (etch), XMMS no longer plays CDs.
XMMS
> sends tons of messages like the following to the syslog if I click on
> the ^ button, enter /dev/cdrom, and click Play.
>
>   kernel: hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
Error }
>   kernel: hdc: command error: error=0x51 { IllegalLengthIndication
LastFailedSense=0x05 }
>   kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>   kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 0
>   kernel: printk: 26 messages suppressed.
>   kernel: Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 0
>
> I can use cdplay from the cdtool package to play the CDs.
>
> If I bring up Options > Preferences > Audio I/O Plugins, select CD
Audio
> Player, and click on Configure, and then click on Check drive in the
> subsequent dialog, I get:
>
>   Device /dev/cdrom OK.
>   Disc has 11 tracks
>   Total length: 44:19
>   Digital audio extraction test: OK
>   Directory /cdrom/ OK.
>
> Should I be entering a new directory or file in the Play files dialog
> now? Something like
> /media/cdrom/something-or-other-which-doesn't-exist-at-the-moment?
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Or is this a bug that needs to be reported? I didn't see anything like
> it listed already.
>
> [Noticing that XMMS has been updated, Bill updates his system to no
avail ...]

> --
> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG
ID:610BD9AD