CUPS 1.2.1 error - printer not connected

I have a fresh install of Etch (Testing) with CUPS 1.2.1-2 using local parallel port lp0. I can install a printer (HP Laserjet 4 driver), print a test page and print from applications. If I reboot and print anything, CUPS begins processing and then displays the error "Printer not connected; will retry in 30 seconds..."

Deleting and reinstalling the printer works until the next reboot.

These packages are installed: cupsys, cupsys-bsd, cupsys-client, libcupsimage2, libcupsys2, libcupsys2-gnutls10.

There is no obvious clue in the cups error log.

Is there anything else I can check before considering this as a bug? Suggestions gratefully received.

Chris.