Re: Question not addressed in FAQ.

From: "Lynn Kilroy"

From: Kent West

Lynn Kilroy wrote:
Are you guys like cleaning up the easy way of donig net installs now or something? And is it safe to assume that all Debian Dists have the same basic file sets?

In other words, for every file that was mentioned in the prior e-mail, is there file that would be reachable by simply replacing "Potato" with "Sarge?"

Not entirely sure what you're asking.

Concerning loadlin, I believe Sarge doesn't work with it, because Sarge uses initrd kernels by default I think, and loadlin can't handle that.

Once you have a base install of Potato, you can change your /etc/apt/sources.list file to point to Sarge (or stable, testing, sid, unstable, EXCEPT for the security line, which needs to be left at stable) and then upgrade the box with:
   aptitude update
   aptitude dist-upgrade
(If Potato doesn't have aptitude, substitute apt-get, then install aptitude and use it in the future - just my recommendation - not essential.)

--
Kent

Can I avoid a lot of problems with Sarge by putting the CD Image on a hard drive and booting it from there? Is it even possible to use a CD Image from a Hard Drive to install Debian?

The ftp site for potato has a habit of playing "Peekaboo!," in that it's there for a few minutes then it vanishes. Are there two ftp.us.debian.org's, and if so, am I getting the one with debian-archives intermittently? If this is the case, how can I get the sight with debian-archives more consistently, to finish installing potato, or will sarge install over potato if I point to sarge?

I will try to have sarge try to install in the place of the rest of potato, but I don't know how well this will work. It seems to me a wonder I found potato in the first place! :-)

Love & Friendhip & Blessed Be!
Lynn Erika Kilroy

Okay. The potato finished installing after pointing apt-get to the Sarge Distro. Which seems kinda' odd, but I hope makes perfect sense for linux.

I did not try to use aptitude - maybe I should - but anyway, apt-get dist-upgrade responded by saying there were no updates available. I had to point it at /debian/dists/sarge to get it to finish installing at all, so could I now have a sarge box instead of a potato box? If so, where to from here?

Love & Friendship & Blessed Be!
Lynn Erika Kilroy