switching between desktop and consoles takes long time

Hello,

On Debian Etch, installed from scratch a few weeks ago, when I switch from my desktop to a console (by pressing the CTRL+Fn keys), it takes extraordinarily long time -- around 6 seconds -- to get to the console. During this time, the system is not responsive and even the clock freezes. Switching from a console back to the desktop is fast though.

I have never experienced this before (earlier installation of Debian), but at that time I was using Nvidia binary driver. Now I am using the driver that comes with xorg. Where should I start looking for a solution?

Thanks,
->HS