Re: switching between desktop and consoles takes long time

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 00:55:24 -0400
"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Debian Etch, installed from scratch a few weeks ago, when I switch
> from my desktop to a console (by pressing the CTRL+Fn keys), it takes
> extraordinarily long time -- around 6 seconds -- to get to the
> console. During this time, the system is not responsive and even the
> clock freezes. Switching from a console back to the desktop is fast
> though.
>
> I have never experienced this before (earlier installation of
> Debian), but at that time I was using Nvidia binary driver. Now I am
> using the driver that comes with xorg. Where should I start looking
> for a solution?
>
> Thanks,
> ->HS

Is there anything which prevents you from installing the nvidia drivers
again? On my old RIVA TNT2 64 switching between console and X takes
about 2 seconds.

http://packages.debian.org/testing/x11/nvidia-glx-legacy

I see that the nvidia-glx package is not available in Etch at the
moment.

--

Liam