Re: Installation failure using debian-31r2-i386-binary-1.iso

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 20:47 -0400, John Miller wrote:
> Chuck,
>
> Every CD image has checksums available from the download site to make
> sure it's been downloaded correctly.  Don't know how to obtain the
> checksums via BitTorrent, but the checksum for the 3.1r2 release is
> available at:
>
> http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/debian-cd/3.1_r2/i386/i386/iso-cd/MD5SUMS
>
> Create a checksum of your CD image using winmd5sum, winmd5, or
> filecheckmd5 (the first three that popped up in Google--winmd5sum is
> open-source) and compare it to the checksum you downloaded.  This should
> tell you if your CD image is corrupted or not.
>
> Alternatively, there's an option in the install CD to verify CD
> integrity.  At the boot prompt, type 'expert26', then hit enter.  Scroll
> down the list of options until you find the 'Verify Install CD' (or
> something close) option.
>
> Good luck!
>
> --John
>
> Chuck Pergiel wrote:
> > Downloaded debian-31r2-i386-binary-1.iso using BitTorrent. Burned a CD using
> > NERO. Boot from the CD, start going through installation, get an error:
> >
> >  [!!] Load Installer Components from CD
> > There was a problem reading data from the CDROM. ...
> >
> > Retrying does not help, washing the CD does not help.
> > If there was someway to verify the CD, I could try that, but I have not
> > found one. And then, even if verification found no errors, how do I know the
> > file I have is any good? Bit Torrent claimed it downloaded fine.
> >
> > Don't recommend any Linux tools. All I have running right now are Windows
> > machines. I am trying to get one box running Linux, so far without much
> > luck.

Like John said, check the md5sums of everything first.  Also, don't burn
CDs/DVDs too fast; this results in a lower quality burn that some
readers have trouble with.  I never use more than 24x (and 4x, I think,
for DVDs).

Now if all this doesn't help, then you are in the same place I was with
amd64 Debian and few months ago.  It was only the Debian Installer that
couldn't read the CD; installed Fedora on the same system had no
problems.  Eventually, I noticed that there was a firmware update for
the drive (a Plextor); I applied the update and the problem was fixed.
It was the first time a firmware update ever made any noticeable
difference for me.

So you might want to check for firmware updates for the drive; perhaps
BIOS updates as well.

Note that I didn't have this problem with Debian i386 3.1r2, only amd64
3.1r0a.