Can't find libXmu.a and libXaw.a for xorg

I'm trying to compile Scilab from sources and it requires the two static libraries
libXmu.a and LibXaw.a

I have installed the packages libxmu-dev and libxaw7-dev, where these files are supposed to originate,. However, after installation they are not in the /usr/X1R6/lib directory, where, according to the debian packages web page, they are supposed to reside.

I looked at the package dependencies and they include xfree86-common. I'm running the xorg xserver. What are my options?

Art Edwards

--
Arthur H. Edwards
Senior Research Physicist