Broken X fonts in emacs21, emacs bug?

Twice now I have found emacs21 display squares instead of fonts after
doing an update in Sid, and once they were fixed by an update.  It
seems that it is either an update to X, or some fonts package that
breaks things rather than emacs.  I believe both times that it broke
apt was updating both X, and something to do with fonts, but I can't
be sure of that.  Other versions of emacs seem to be fine such as,
emacs-snapshot, emacs-snapshot-gtk, xemacs21.  Also other athena
widget apps seem to be fine.  Fonts are fine when emacs is running in
a terminal.

I've talked to a pal who has the same problem, and I've seen similar
problems when searching through the debian mail archive, and have yet
to see a fix.  If this isn't a bug I would like some help fixing it.
I recently rebuilt my xorg.conf starting from X -configure here is a
clip from it, and a related bit from the log in case that helps anyone
tell me what is wrong.  Since other versions of emacs work it isn't
high priority for me, but if it's a bug I would like to get a bug
report filed.

Section "Files"
       RgbPath      "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
       ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
       FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/"
       FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/TTF/"
       FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/OTF"
       FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/"
       FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/CID/"
       FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/"
       FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/"
EndSection

(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/TTF/" does not exist.
       Entry deleted from font path.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/OTF" does not exist.
       Entry deleted from font path.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/CID/" does not exist.
       Entry deleted from font path.