Re: occult nvidia kernel version skew

> > mv nvidia.o{,.hold}
>
> I take it this is the same as
>
>   mv nvidia.o nvidia.o.hold

Right, at least in bash.

> > You don't have the nvidiafb module inserted, do you?  It conflicts with
> > nvidia.
>
> No.  I nvidiafb is not installed.  However, there is a file
>
> /lib/modules/2.6.15-1-amd64-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia/nvidiafb.ko
>
> with a relatively old date.  It probably shouldn't be there.  Left
> over from a previous install, maybe?
>
> Is there any way of finding out which installed package a file is part
> of?

Yes, as Steve suggested, 'dpkg --search nvidiafb.ko' will show you that that
file is part of your linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-generic package.  There's no
harm in it being there, but you just want to make sure that it's not
inserted into your kernel, so that it doesn't conflict with your nvidia
driver.  'lsmod | grep nvidiafb' will tell you.  I don't think that's your
issue here; it's just something to be sure about.

> Given the number of things that I've encountered that shouldn't be
> there in the past month, it might even be worth having an automated
> process look through the entire file system looking for things that
> are there but not part of any package (file trees like /tmp and /home
> exempted, of course.)  Of course there will be some legitimate files
> there, too, especially in /etc, but such a list might still be useful.

The cruft package does exactly this.