Re: GNOME new file selection dialogs

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 03:07:18PM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> It's a shame that people still think of this as a concern:
> For the vast majority of people, I'd suggest that using
> GTK-apps or QT-apps in mutual exclusion is a serious case of
> premature optimisation and such people are missing out on
> some truly great software.

Unfortunately, while there are lots of GTK-based applications that don't
necessarily require Gnome, or can be built to not require Gnome, the same
thing cannot be said for QT-based applications.  I have never found that QT
has wide acceptance outside the KDE community.  Exceptions are applications
like scribus, but those are few and far between.

Starting a Gnome application ends up starting up gconfd, maybe loading a
comple libraries.  Starting a KDE application leaves you with all sorts of
crap running, that doesn't go away.  Thank you, but I don't need kdeinit
hanging around.

Finally, I have never seen a KDE app that was worth bothering with.  I'm
sure that someone will throw up k3b, but I'm not about to install all of
KDE just so that I can burn CD's.  I found k3b's cutesy-poo interface
completely off-putting the one time I actually messed with it.

Of course, there are very few Gnome applications that're worth bothering
with, either.

--
 Marc Wilson |     The best thing about being bald is, that, when
 msw@cox.net |     unexpected company arrives, all you have to do is