Problem setting screen resolution after Debian Etch install...

I just finished with a sucessful install of Debian Etch. However, I am
having some problems setting the screen resolution on my GNOME
Desktop. The highest resolution available is 1024x768. I would like to
set it to a higher resolution.

I have already editied the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and added 1280x1024
as an option on all of my screens. However, this option doesn't show
up in GNOME even after restarting X Windows.

I also tried running dpkg -reconfigure xserver-xorg. I walked through
all the steps of the configuration wizard, and I know I selected the
appropriate driver for my NVidia card.

Funny thing is, the configuration wizard never asked me to set the
allowed screen resolutions, or horizontal sync range and vertical
refresh range.

At any rate, I'm stuck with a really low screen resolution and I'm not
sure what to try next. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott Huey