Keyboard macro in Linux

I have been amazed at how difficult it is to create arbitrary keyboard macros
in Linux if you're not running KDE or Gnome.  The only thing I have found
(after much searching) is xbindkeys combined with xmacro.  xmacro works if I
run it from the xterm where I want to send X events, but not if it gets run
from xbindkeys.  That's not very useful.  I don't know what the problem is and
I don't know who to ask.  This may also be relevant:

$xhost +
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host

$xrdb -query |grep allow
XTerm*allowSendEvents:  True