cell w/ Bitpim: "This port is active but not available for use."

Hi,

I have a Verizon LG VX8100 cell phone that connects to my workstation
via a USB port.  It seems to be detected okay, but somehow is disabled.
When I use Bitpim, and look under the "Choose a comm port" dialog [1],
the port for the phone is listed under "Ports Not Available".  When I
click on that item to get details, it shows a list of Property - Value
pairs; the property "available" is set to "false".  Anyone know what
can cause this?  More importantly, how to make it change to "true"?
I'm pretty sure if that property setting becomes true, I will be able
to browse the phone's filesystem.

Interestingly, the following lines appear in the log - I'm not sure how
to interpret them:

-- begin --
22:43:14.638 Checking for model: LG-VX8100 (Verizon Wireless)
22:43:14.638 Likely ports:[]
-- end --

The "Likely ports" should not be an empty list.

Thanks in advance for advice or comments.  Incidentally, I do not
believe it is a permission problem, since I have tried just running
bitpim as root, with the same outcome.  The phone's firmware is version
7.

[1] under Edit |> Settings, then click "Browse" by Comm Port
--
Peace,
Aaron Maxwell - http://redsymbol.net