Re: Problem setting screen resolution after Debian Etch install...

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 21:52 -0700, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> I just finished with a sucessful install of Debian Etch. However, I am
> having some problems setting the screen resolution on my GNOME
> Desktop. The highest resolution available is 1024x768. I would like to
> set it to a higher resolution.
>
> I have already editied the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and added 1280x1024
> as an option on all of my screens. However, this option doesn't show
> up in GNOME even after restarting X Windows.
>
> I also tried running dpkg -reconfigure xserver-xorg. I walked through
> all the steps of the configuration wizard, and I know I selected the
> appropriate driver for my NVidia card.
>
> Funny thing is, the configuration wizard never asked me to set the
> allowed screen resolutions, or horizontal sync range and vertical
> refresh range.
>
> At any rate, I'm stuck with a really low screen resolution and I'm not
> sure what to try next. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott Huey

First: I am talking about xfree86. This may or may not apply in your
case.
There is a question somewhere asking if you want to configure your
monitor in basic, medium or advanced level. It will only allow you to
specify your sync values if you choose advanced.
There was also a bug with xfree86. Read the first few lines of xorg.conf
if it says anything about md5sums.
Good luck!

--
Szia: