Re: loading module on boot

Bob McGowan <bob_mcgowan@symantec.com> writes:

[..]
> [...]
[..]

> I would suggest looking into the /etc/rc?.d directories and determine
> what sequence of scripts is run as your system boots.  On my system,
> the module-init-tools script is run from /etc/rcS.d as
> S20module-init-tools. You could add this to the beginning of each
> subsequent script:
>
>    lsmod|grep -q ide_cd || echo lost it in $0
>
> to figure out when in the sequence it disappears.  This should narrow
> down where you need to look.

Thanks, that was a good suggestion!  I had grepped through
/etc/init.d/* but didn't find anything obvious.  Using the above trick
I discovered that /etc/init.d/rcS called a script in /etc/boot.d that
called a script elsewhere in /etc that removed ide-cd, left over from
when I was using a 2.4 kernel and needed to use scsi emulation, or
something like that.  Anyway, not it works!

-David