Re: loading module on boot

I would suggest looking into the /etc/rc?.d directories and determine what sequence of scripts is run as your system boots. On my system, the module-init-tools script is run from /etc/rcS.d as S20module-init-tools. You could add this to the beginning of each subsequent script:

  lsmod|grep -q ide_cd || echo lost it in $0

to figure out when in the sequence it disappears. This should narrow down where you need to look.

Bob