Re: loading module on boot

Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 00:18:26 -0400, David Zelinsky wrote:
> [..]
> >The ide-cd entry in /etc/modules-2.6 _is_ getting read, because it
> >prints something in the boot messages saying it's loading ide-cd.  But
> >either the load is failing for some reason, or it's getting unloaded by
> >some other script.
>
> What is it printing?
> Does it turn up in dmesg or any of the system logs?

The module-init-tools script loops through the entries in
/etc/modules-2.6 and prints the module name, which I see on the
screen.  Nothing shows up in the log files.

I tried modifying module-init-tools to print more information.  I
added -v to the modprobe call, and I see that loading ide-cd seems to
be succeeding (it identifies the CD drive correctly, etc.).

I also added a call to "lsmod" in the script after it's done loading
the modules in /etc/modules-2.6.  At that point, it shows ide-cd as
being installed.

But for some reason, by the time the boot sequence has finished and I
log in, ide-cd is gone.

-David