Re: ext3 or xfs for desktop laptop

On 10/06/06, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> Finally, the swap. I'm not too sure what these swap-files are,
> but it seems to me that a swap partiton is quite acceptable as a
> just-in-case. I'm simply unsure as to how large I should make it.

A swap *file* does the same thing a swap *partition* does.

Amazing, no?

I understand that part. I do not understand why one would be better than an other. Nor have you indicated what guidelines I can use for determining an appropriate size.

> As an aside, Mr. Johnson noted that hyperthreading can slow my
> computer down. In relation to the research that I did when I was
> wondering which kernel to use (a long time ago), I found out that
> hyper threading simply tells the processor to use it's free time
> to execute more activities. I failed to see (and still do) how
> this can slow my computer down.

Read more.

    tells the processor to use it's free time to execute more
    activities

That's what *every* multi-tasking OS has done for the past 30 years.

HT makes the CPU look, to the OS, look like 2 CPUs.  Good in some
circumstances, bad in most.

This is of particular interest to me. In what ways is HT "bad is most [ways]"?

--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.