Re: Security updates and apt-get

On 6/10/06, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

Michele Della Marina wrote:
> Hello!
> I use a stable ditribution on my servers, and periodically I make
> apt-get update and apt-get upgrade using security.debian.org in
> sources.list
> I think (as I know) that this operation updates the critical packages
> installed in my systems.
>
> If I add a line in sources.list like ftp.debian.org/debian stable main
> etc etc, and I make apt-get update apt-get upgrade, how my packages
> are updated? Can I upgrade my system using both repository?  ... sorry
> for my bed english, I hope my doubt is clear enough.

You *should* have both in your sources.list.

deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

Or am I misunderstanding you?

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

I've added both repositories in sources.list, then apt-get update
apt-get upgrade. All work fine, my doubt is how packages are
updated... are there problems or likely dependencies conflicts using
both repositories? Maybe is more desirable using only security
updates? I've installed apache,mysql,postfix and hylafax on some
servers, I'm afraid of upgrading because are little but production
servers.
Then, apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade... what differences?

Michele