Re: Security updates and apt-get

Michele Della Marina wrote:
> On 6/10/06, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>> Michele Della Marina wrote:
>> > Hello!
>> > I use a stable ditribution on my servers, and periodically I make
>> > apt-get update and apt-get upgrade using security.debian.org in
>> > sources.list
>> > I think (as I know) that this operation updates the critical packages
>> > installed in my systems.
>> >
>> > If I add a line in sources.list like ftp.debian.org/debian stable main
>> > etc etc, and I make apt-get update apt-get upgrade, how my packages
>> > are updated? Can I upgrade my system using both repository?  ... sorry
>> > for my bed english, I hope my doubt is clear enough.
>>
>> You *should* have both in your sources.list.
>>
>> deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
>> deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
>>
>> Or am I misunderstanding you?
>>

> I've added both repositories in sources.list, then apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade. All work fine, my doubt is how packages are
> updated... are there problems or likely dependencies conflicts using
> both repositories? Maybe is more desirable using only security
> updates? I've installed apache,mysql,postfix and hylafax on some
> servers, I'm afraid of upgrading because are little but production
> servers.
> Then, apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade... what differences?

security.debian.org *supplements* ftp.debian.org.  BOTH are needed
to keep your system current with security patches.

On a stable system like you have, this is *all* that is necessary to
keep it up-to-date:
# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Do it weekly or bi-weekly, and all will be good.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Is "common sense" really valid?