Re: is it a bad idea to use unstable on a server ?

* "s. keeling" <keeling@spots.ab.ca> [2006-06-09 04:25]:
> Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de>:
> >  Am 2006-05-26 19:08:47, schrieb Felix C. Stegerman:
> >
> > > So it comes down to:
> > >   * Is it a bad idea to use unstable on a production server when it
> > >     comes to security?
> >
> >  YES
>
> I would agree.  However, there's these guys: www.grml.org, who take it
> for granted that people will use it in a production environment:
>
>    Notice: If you are using grml in a [production] environment and/or
>    use a grml2hd installation we strongly recommend to subscribe to
>    the grml-user mailinglist!
>
> Good advice.
>
> Pretty cool looking distro, fwiw.  I'm looking forward to playing with
> it (no opportunity yet).  Debian based SystemRescueCD based on unstable.

I discovered grml about two weeks ago, but unfortunately they don't
have a PPC port (yet) ;-)

> > >   * If so, would you recommend using testing, or stable?
> >
> >  Stable with selected backports IF NEEDED!
>
> Stable, yes.  Backports, for a server?  I'd build from source instead.
> Of course, that could mean dependency hell ...
>
> Instead, just wean yourself from having to run bleeding edge software.

As I wrote (in another thread and somewhere else in this one), I've
decided to run stable and backport mysql + vim + linux-image myself.

I don't generally need/want bleeding edge software (on a server), I
just really like vim 7.0 and do need some features new to mysql 5.0.

Thanks.

- Felix

--
Felix C. Stegerman <flx@obfusk.net>                  http://obfusk.net
~ "Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature."