Re: is it a bad idea to use unstable on a server ?

Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de>:
>  Am 2006-05-26 19:08:47, schrieb Felix C. Stegerman:
>
> > So it comes down to:
> >   * Is it a bad idea to use unstable on a production server when it
> >     comes to security?
>
>  YES

I would agree.  However, there's these guys: www.grml.org, who take it
for granted that people will use it in a production environment:

   Notice: If you are using grml in a [production] environment and/or
   use a grml2hd installation we strongly recommend to subscribe to
   the grml-user mailinglist!

Good advice.

Pretty cool looking distro, fwiw.  I'm looking forward to playing with
it (no opportunity yet).  Debian based SystemRescueCD based on unstable.

> >   * If so, would you recommend using testing, or stable?
>
>  Stable with selected backports IF NEEDED!

Stable, yes.  Backports, for a server?  I'd build from source instead.
Of course, that could mean dependency hell ...

Instead, just wean yourself from having to run bleeding edge software.

    (*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling           Linux Counter #80292
    - -    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
           Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html