Re: color management using free software?

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 10:29:21PM -0300, Bruno Buys wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am trying to collect every piece of software/documentation about color
> management that can be done using free software, preferably under
> debian. I am planning to write a book about photography using free
> software, and color management is one main point. Unfortunately, it
> seems, there is not much free stuff (yet).
> My main questions relate to photography workflow:
> - how do I add a icc profile to a picture?

You can do this using ImageMagick

> - how can I tell when there's a icc profile embeded?

Prabably ImageMagick will tell you this as well.

> - what are the best software people are using to handle color
> management? what are the options?

Scribus is pretty much fully colour management aware.

The gimp is starting to include colour management for RGB images.

> So, if someone from this list wanna contribute with links, i'd be most
> greateful!

The best resource is the scribus wiki. There is a lot of info about
colour management on this site. see wiki.scribus.net

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a