color management using free software?

Hi all,
I am trying to collect every piece of software/documentation about color management that can be done using free software, preferably under debian. I am planning to write a book about photography using free software, and color management is one main point. Unfortunately, it seems, there is not much free stuff (yet).
My main questions relate to photography workflow:
- how do I add a icc profile to a picture?
- how can I tell when there's a icc profile embeded?
- what are the best software people are using to handle color management? what are the options?

So, if someone from this list wanna contribute with links, i'd be most greateful!

bruno