Re: What is in openoffice.org-core04u?

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 17:00:27 -0700
Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

[SNIP]

> Yes, I am running Sarge.  I do not think that OOo had been backported
> when I installed the upstream packages.  (I generally do not worry
> about backports.)  I looked at the backports version since then but
> it has many other dependancies which the upstream version does not.
>
> If I tell apt to do a dist-upgrade I get the following output:

> $ sudo apt-get -u dist-upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Calculating Upgrade... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
> openoffice.org-debian-menus
> antlr gjdoc jikes kaffe kaffe-common kaffe-pthreads libgnujaxp-java
> libgnujaxp-jni libneon24
> libwpd8 libxt-java openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core
> openoffice.org-java-common
> openoffice.org-l10n-en-us python-uno
> The following packages have been kept back:
> openoffice.org-base remind
> openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-impress
> openoffice.org-math
> openoffice.org-writer
> 5 upgraded, 16 newly installed, 1 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B/90.7MB of archives.
> After unpacking 203MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> Abort.
>
> So it wants to upgrade only 5 of the upstream packages and install
> SIXTEEN NEW PACKAGES! I actually did do this, temporarily, but the ui
> fonts were not as nice and there was some flakiness with loading and
> saving packages. It would occaisionally give me an error to the
> effect that "BASIC is missing" or something like that. If I just
> clicked through the error it would load, or save, just fine, though.

I wouldn't worry about the new packages; the Debian OOo2 packages are
more modular and have different dependencies

> I then deleted the new packages that it had installed, along with the
> updated OOo ones. Then I reinstalled the upstream versions of the
> packages that had been updated. This got me back to what I originally
> had, but the errors on loading and saving still occaisionally crop
> up. I am guessing that this is due to some confusion between the
> upstream and debian versions, since it only updated 5 of the
> packages. I had hoped that removing the Debian packages and
> reinstalling the upstream ones would fix things, but it seems not to
> have completely done so. I may have to uninstall OOo completely, and
> then install from scratch whichever version I decide to go with.

Try deleting or moving ~/.openoffice2 when you switch between upstream
and Debian versions. (The two versions are installed to different
locations, so path information stored in your personal profile may be
"incorrect" in the context of a given version).

--

Liam

Please reply to the list only. The e-mail address above is no longer in
use.