Re: What is in openoffice.org-core04u?

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 08:53:22 -0700
Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Liam O'Toole wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 14:10:11 -0700
> >Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Apt-cache depends shows openoffice.org-core04u as being dependant
> >>on kdelibs4, which is, of couse, dependant on libarts1.
> >>
> >>I have OpenOffice 2 installed from the tarball at openoffice.org,
> >>and then converted using alien.  Apt is not showing anything else
> >>from oo.o that is to be removed.  Is this file just for
> >>compatibility with KDE? Can I safely remove it without making a
> >>mess of OO.o, as long as I am not running KDE?
> >>

> >See the output of 'dpkg -s openoffice.org-core04u'.
> >

> That is the same as 'apt-cache show openoffice.org-core04u' which I
> had already done:

[SNIP]

> Can anyone give me a clue as to whether I need this package, or not?
>
> Please.

No, this is doing a lot more than providing KDE compatibility. Removing
it will cripple openoffice.

Are you running Sarge? OOo2 has been backported:

http://www.backports.org/debian/pool/main/o/openoffice.org/

Note that the official openoffice.org-core packages (in Etch and Sid)
do not depend on kdelibs4; I expect that the same will be true of the
backported package.

--

Liam