Changing floppy0 ownership

I use the following line in my fstab file:
> /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  msdos    rw,user,noauto  0       0

Then (as george) I mount the floppy disk thusly:
> sudo mount -t msdos -o owner /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0

But when I attempt to write to the floppy, it turns out to be write-
protected.  And debian won't let me mount it just as george ("Only root
can do that").  Incidentally, if I look at a not-empty floppy, I can
see its contents and copy them with the file browser. And I've checked
to be sure that its little block hasn't been shifted to open the write-
protect hole.

Is this what I should be doing to mount the floppy ?
> sudo mount -t msdos -o george /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0

Puzzled in PA

George Langford