Re: Changing floppy0 ownership

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 14:32:59 -0700, George Langford wrote:

> I use the following line in my fstab file:
> > /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  msdos    rw,user,noauto  0       0
>
> Then (as george) I mount the floppy disk thusly:
> > sudo mount -t msdos -o owner /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0
>
> But when I attempt to write to the floppy, it turns out to be write-
> protected.  And debian won't let me mount it just as george ("Only root
> can do that").  Incidentally, if I look at a not-empty floppy, I can
> see its contents and copy them with the file browser. And I've checked
> to be sure that its little block hasn't been shifted to open the write-
> protect hole.
>
> Is this what I should be doing to mount the floppy ?
> > sudo mount -t msdos -o george /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0

You probably forgot to add your user to the "floppy" group. Users in
that group should have read/write access to the device; the "user"
option in your fstab should make it possible to mount without using
sudo. If that does not work you should check the permissions of the
device:

$ ls -l /dev/fd0
brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 2, 0 2006-05-18 17:18 /dev/fd0

--