Re: Problem updating doodled

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 23:58:34 +1000, Michael Lightfoot wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 May 2006 08:36, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> > I would first try to find out why the pre-removal script cannot stop the
> > daemon. Is the daemon running at all? You can check it with
> >
> > ps -ef | grep [d]oodled
> >
> > If the daemon is not running you can try the start/stop actions yourself
> > (as root):
> >
> > invoke-rc.d doodled start
> > invoke-rc.d doodled stop
> >
> Start works, stop fails.
>
> > Maybe that will give you an error message which indicates what is wrong.
> > If there is no error you can start the daemon again and see if that is
> > enough to satisfy the pre-removal script.
> >
> > If all else fails you can try to force the removal of the package:
> >
> > dpkg -r --force-all doodled
> >
> This doesn't work - it still complains that the stop of the daemon fails.
>
> I then simply tried commenting out the guts of the stop function
> in /etc/init.d/doodled and running the upgrade, which worked.
>
> invoke-rc.d doodled stop still fails.  Here is the function
> from /etc/init.d/doodled:
>
> DAEMON=/usr/bin/doodled
> NAME=doodled
> DESC="doodle daemon"
>
>       stop)
>               echo -n "Stopping $DESC: "
>               start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile /var/run/$NAME.pid \
>                       --exec $DAEMON
>               echo "$NAME."
>               ;;

Then it might be time to submit a bug report against the package. To
help the package maintainer, I would first check the following things:

1) Does the "start" action really start a daemon process? ("pgrep
   doodled" should return the process ID of the daemon.)

2) Is the PID file /var/run/doodled.pid created and does it contain the
   correct process ID? ("cat /var/run/doodled.pid")

3) Does the "stop" action kill the daemon process and then fail with an
   error, or does it fail immediately without stopping the daemon?

4) Does it help to purge the doodled package ("apt-get --purge remove
   doodled" or "aptitude purge doodled") and reinstall it?

--
Regards,
          Florian