Re: Problem updating doodled

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 08:36, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> I would first try to find out why the pre-removal script cannot stop the
> daemon. Is the daemon running at all? You can check it with
>
> ps -ef | grep [d]oodled
>
> If the daemon is not running you can try the start/stop actions yourself
> (as root):
>
> invoke-rc.d doodled start
> invoke-rc.d doodled stop

Start works, stop fails.

> Maybe that will give you an error message which indicates what is wrong.
> If there is no error you can start the daemon again and see if that is
> enough to satisfy the pre-removal script.
>
> If all else fails you can try to force the removal of the package:
>
> dpkg -r --force-all doodled

This doesn't work - it still complains that the stop of the daemon fails.

I then simply tried commenting out the guts of the stop function
in /etc/init.d/doodled and running the upgrade, which worked.

invoke-rc.d doodled stop still fails.  Here is the function
from /etc/init.d/doodled:

DAEMON=/usr/bin/doodled
NAME=doodled
DESC="doodle daemon"

      stop)
              echo -n "Stopping $DESC: "
              start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile /var/run/$NAME.pid \
                      --exec $DAEMON
              echo "$NAME."
              ;;

--