Re: question

On 5/30/06, Matus C <mcoma@centrum.sk> wrote:
Hi, I have sarge cd, whole name is Debian GNU/Linux sarge cd 3.1 r0a i386,

This is not the very latest version. But you could install from this CD and then
upgrade to the latest version.

I booted it by means of "boot linux26" and it really worked,

In private, I adviced Matus to try

 boot: linux26

which actually got him further (probably resolving an infinite hang
related to SATA and the 2.4 kernel).

but now i have no idea what to do with it..... the kernel is working..../ I can login /

It looks like as if it needs some statement to continue in installation.

Could you type exactly what you see on the screen ?

Is it a white on black:

 Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 <hostname> tty 1

Or is it a more graphical login screen ?

Or something else ?

Would you want to have a grafical screen ?

One thing I would certainly advice first is to log in as root and type:

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade

That will upgrade your system to the latest stable version.

Peter

--
Peter Vandenabeele
peter AT vandenabeele DOT com