Re: wake-on-lan

> [...] I can remotely wake the box if I shut it down  before it boots
> Linux, but it doesn't work if I shut it down when Linux is running.

I had the same problem, as do many others according to Google.

1) Check if WoL is on using

# ethtool eth0

There should be a 'g' in the Wake-On: line. If there is not you'll have to run

# ethtool -s eth0 wol g

every time you reboot the machine. If this does not work ...

2) The problem in my case was that the driver turned off the NIC completely during shutdown, so it lost its link to the switch (check the LEDs) and the ability to wake up.

In my case (an Intel Desktop Gigabit NIC with the e1000 driver) compiling the newer GPL driver from the Intel web site out-of-tree worked nicely. (You just need the headers or full source of your kernel accessible as /usr/src/linux)

Remember to update the initrd, if you use one, otherwise the old driver will be loaded on boot. (Check dmesg)

I filed a bug on WoL not working, please add your experience there - maybe someone in the kernel team will look at it if more people complain :)

Cheers

C.