Re: (switching between X11 and consoles (Re: switching games between fullscreen and window)

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 01:48:28 +0200, lee wrote:
> On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 11:37:19AM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> > > avail. When I start gdm, I can switch as long as I'm not logged in,
> > > but I don't use gdm and don't want to log off to switch anyway.
> >
> > Check with "xev" if the Ctrl, Alt and Fn-x key generate the right key
> > press/release events in X. ("Control_L", "Alt_L", "F1", etc.) Post the
> > output of "xmodmap" and the keyboard section of your xorg.conf.
>
> Keycodes are ok --- Ctrl+Alt+Fx don't have symbols, but I'd say they
> are not supposed to have some.

They do have keysym entries on my system. I don't know how relevant this
is.

[...]

> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>         Driver          "keyboard"
>         Option          "CoreKeyboard"
>         Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
>         Option          "XkbModel"      "pc101"
>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "de"
>         Option          "XkbOptions"    "nodeadkeys"
>         Option          "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
> EndSection
>

> How many buttons does my keyboard have? I'm using one of the heavy,
> old and indestructible IBM keyboards (German version) --- the only
> decent keyboards you can get. I never counted it's keys, though.
>
> What are valid XkbdModel options? I couldn't find anything in man
> xorg.conf and nothing useful with google.

You could try one or more of the following:

- Driver "kbd" instead of "keyboard"
- comment out the "ctrl:nocaps" line
- "pc104" or "pc105" as the XkbModel
- add a line: Option "Xkbdisable" "true"

More suggestions are in /etc/X11/xkb/README.config.

--
Regards,
          Florian