Re: switching games between fullscreen and window

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 11:19:33AM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> At 1148262532 past the epoch, lee wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there any way to switch between fullscreen and window
> > mode in games that use SDL, like Quake4 and X2 (X2 demo
> > for now)?
>
> I think that is very much game-specific. Off the top of my
> head, the program must call SDL_Quit and re-initialise the
> SDL subsystem with the new video mode, so it isn't something
> that can be easily shoehorned onto an existing game.

If that is really true, I will file a bug report against the SDL
library. Besides the great inconvenience, it is a security issue. I
want to remain in control of my computer.

Meanwhile, how do I switch between X11 and consoles? Ctrl+Alt+Fn-x
doesn't work. I have already set

   Option          "DontVTSwitch"  "off"

in xorg.conf since long because it doesn't work since long, but to no
avail. When I start gdm, I can switch as long as I'm not logged in,
but I don't use gdm and don't want to log off to switch anyway.

Maybe I can start an X11 game from the console and switch to X11, and
if I can switch back to the console and suspend the game, I might be
able to use the X11 session for other things than the game and to
later continue the game.

Or is there some way to have multiple X11 sessions and switch between
them, suspending (if I want to) everything running on the session that
is not currently active?

My graphics card has dual heads, and I have some monitors ... There
should be some way, even if I have to clean up my desk for that.

GH