Re: dhcp, router and debian

Alle Meije Wink wrote:

[ ... ]

It seems that if my router is running without problems already (after having started the computer with windows :( ), exim connects fine through the router (not immediate connection) as well. The problem really seems to be that after a cold start (both modem and router are switched on and the computer is booting), the router does not find the connection itself. It needs something from windows to start it. If that is true it is bad...

I cannot understand why you think that you need Windows. Are the modem and router separate boxes, or software running on a Windows machine? My ADSL modem/router is a single box (PHILIPS SNA 6500) as was my previous D-Link box. Both take about a minute to boot and connect to DSL, but I normally leave them permanently running. And I don't have Windows. The boxes must have their own internal software and be independent of any external operating system.

[ ... ]

Well, this is what I do. I shutdown from within KDE (since 2.6 even the computer turns itself off) and then I switch of the main socket on the wall.

Oh, well - thats OK. You are shutting down the system and _then_ disconnecting from the mains.

Take George's advice to reconfigure Exim4 to use minimal DNS and see what happens.

Chris.