Re: dhcp, router and debian

Chris Lale wrote:
The thing is, after my computer halts (and no wireless connections
are in use), I usually switch off the whole box by switching off
the power socket. So when I fire up the system, the modem + router
are usually just starting as well.

This is the cause of your problem. This is how booting seems to work.
During boot, Debian starts running the MTA (Mail Transport Agent)
which is Exim4 in a default installation. It is looking for the
network connection - this will be the internet. If your ethernet card
connects immediately to the internet, Exim4 will start seamlessly.
Otherwise, you will have to wait a minute or two until Debian gives
up trying the connection and starts Exim4 anyway.
It seems that if my router is running without problems already (after having started the computer with windows :( ), exim connects fine through the router (not immediate connection) as well. The problem really seems to be that after a cold start (both modem and router are switched on and the computer is booting), the router does not find the connection itself. It needs something from windows to start it. If that is true it is bad...

I usually switch off the whole box by switching off the power socket.

This is not a good idea with any system - you could easily get disc
corruption. Always shutdown normally using the display manager
command button (in gdm, kdm, xdm) in X, shutdown command or
ctrl-alt-del in a console.
Well, this is what I do. I shutdown from within KDE (since 2.6 even the computer turns itself off) and then I switch of the main socket on the wall. This works perfectly, even with the cable modem starting up. It's since I got the router that the problems have started. Nobody else has similar experiences with a D-link DI425?

George Borisov wrote:
This is the cause of your problem. This is how booting seems to work.
During boot, Debian starts running the MTA (Mail Transport Agent) which
is Exim4 in a default installation. It is looking for the network
connection - this will be the internet. If your ethernet card connects
immediately to the internet, Exim4 will start seamlessly. Otherwise, you
will have to wait a minute or two until Debian gives up trying the
connection and starts Exim4 anyway.
Alternatively, if you don't have a reliable internet connection on
start-up you can do "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" and select "yes" for
the "Use Minimal DNS" question at the very end. This will stop it
hanging on start-up, if the internet connection is down.
This may be an idea to use anyway, thanks. Nevertheless I still think my connection is quite reliable. It's the router in between. When it works (once it works) it's very reliable too...

I'm now leaving the modem and the router on (using a different socket), and this seems to work. Thanks for all the advice. I still consider it a low-tech solution though (feel a bit beaten by D-link and M$).

Cheers
Alle Meije