Re: switching from apt-get to aptitude

On 18 May 2006, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 02:59:26PM +0200, H. Wilmer wrote:
> >Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >
> >> You cannot break anything
> >>by using aptitude and apt-get together, but you will (partially)
> >>neutralize many of the advantages of aptitude. Just think of aptitude as
> >>a tool which integrates the functionality of apt-get, apt-cache, etc.
> >>into one utility with an optional ncurses-GUI and a broader repertoire
> >>for the resolution of dependency problems.
> >
> >Hm, I tried aptitude and found that you won't know what's going on
> >anymore and that it tries to do things to packages you won't want it to
> >do and that it's impossible to prevent that and very difficult, if not
> >impossible, to make it install the packages you want. When using it
> >after a fresh install, it appears to leave you with a totally broken
> >system.
> >
> >In other words: Aptitude just utterly sucked, so I went back to dselect.
>
> This is exactly what I thought (althogh I never got along with dselect
> either) so I always went back to apt-get+debfoster. Recently debfoster
> was deprecated and I was more or less forced to take a look at aptitude.
> So far my experience is that it IS good, though it takes a little while
> to get used to it and figure out the UI. After getting some help from
> this very list I'm now using aptitude in a manner very similar to how I
> previously used apt-get+debfoster. I wrote some stuff down so that I
> would remember[1].

My experience with aptitude has also been pretty negative, with mass
removal of wanted packages on more than one occasion.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned wajig, which I've found to be a
brilliant way of integrating the functioning of the various packages.
(Unfortunately there is currently an unresolved issue with the "show"
command in wajig following a recent apt upgrade but otherwise wajig is
still OK.)

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian