Re: switching from apt-get to aptitude

Florian Kulzer wrote:

> You cannot break anything
by using aptitude and apt-get together, but you will (partially)
neutralize many of the advantages of aptitude. Just think of aptitude as
a tool which integrates the functionality of apt-get, apt-cache, etc.
into one utility with an optional ncurses-GUI and a broader repertoire
for the resolution of dependency problems.

Hm, I tried aptitude and found that you won't know what's going on anymore and that it tries to do things to packages you won't want it to do and that it's impossible to prevent that and very difficult, if not impossible, to make it install the packages you want. When using it after a fresh install, it appears to leave you with a totally broken system.

In other words: Aptitude just utterly sucked, so I went back to dselect.

GH