Re: switching from apt-get to aptitude

Grant Thomas schreef:
For example, a few days ago I decided to take a look at KDE (I am a long
time IceWM user). I just did 'aptitude install kde' and had almost
several hundred MB worth of k* applications.  Exactly what I wanted and,
so far, exactly what apt-get would have done. But it was just an
experiment and I wanted to get rid of KDE again. Aptitude allowed me to
just 'aptitude purge kde' again and it removed *every* package kde
depended on. If I had used apt-get to install and remove kde, apt-get
Even X?
Of course not! But you are right, I should have made myself more clear:
aptitude removed every package kde depended upon *that were not yet
installed* when I requested installation of kde.

Question for you (anyone) then:
If you install kde through aptitude, an aptitude marks Xorg as a
dependency, and then install gnome a couple of days later, would
removing kde also remove Xorg, or would it see it as a current
dependency for gnome and leave it?

In that case it knows that gnome depends on it, so it doesn't remove it.

Roel Schroeven