Re: install with lvm and striping

On 5/12/06, Bram Biesbrouck <b@beligum.org> wrote:
Hi all,

The debian-installer allows to format disks using LVM, but it doesn't offer
the opportunity to use striping. Is there a way I can do this during the
installation process. If not, how do I re-partition my volumes using
striping?

Bram

Could you let us know what your system is?
  Architecture
 Version of Debian being installed
 etc...

Are you talking about hardware or software RAID?

Based on the information in your post, I will assume the following:

Striping Method:     RAID5 via software RAID
Architecture:          X86
Number of discs:    3
disc scheme:          One partition per disc. Disc dedicated to RAID Array
Installation media:  debian-31r1-i386-binary-1.iso

Once the installer is at the partitioning menu(Manually edit the
Partition table):

• For each physical disc:
   • Delete all partitions
   • Create a new partition(primary), using the whole disc
   • Use the partition as a "physical volume for RAID"

Now you should see that each disc has one entry for each disc, using
the whole disc, configured for RAID.

Select "Configure software RAID"
Accept changes to discs.

In the RAID configuration menu:
• Create MD device
   • Select RAID5
       • Set the number of active devices to '3' see 1
       • Set the number of spare devices to '0' see 1
   • Press space to place a * in the brackets of all your drives, and continue
   • Finish

You should now be back at the partitioning menu.
There should now be a RAID5 device listed in the area where your other
discs are listed.

Use this as you would any normal disc, and the kernel should take care
of any stiping that needs to be done

Note: 1
If you have more than three devices, you can activate a spare device
that will be used in the event that one of your active devices fails.

Please take care, as I have not completely installed a system with the
software RAID options.

I assume you could split one disc into three partitions and follow the
same steps if you only have one drive, but that would be pointless as
any write would write three times to the same disc.

Hopefully this was of some help.