Re: Mail Issues (pt 2 )

Rich Johnson wrote:

On May 12, 2006, at 11:03 AM, Richard wrote:

Thought I would re-explain myself

Regarding Mail,
What I wanted to do, if possible,
is to have the mail fetch from pop3 accounts (several) ( thousands ) avg 2800 per day and have spam filters applied and rules applied, and move into folder, as pure text messages,
with header intact.

[...snip...]

If I understand correctly:
A straightforward fetchmail -> exim4/spamassassin configuration using Maildir format should handle this without difficulty. I handle ~1K messages per day with just such a setup. I handle the sorting with .forward rules, though I suppose you could also use exim4 pipe/process filters or an external ''delivery agent'' for more sophisticated filtering. (I hope I have the terminology right)

I'd first setup and test exim4 and spamassassin, then configure fetchmail to feed exim4 from the popboxes.

What you're doing differently is that you're _keeping_ the messages (255K of them) whereas I purge any mailboxes with >10K messages. If you choose to use Maildir, I'd advise that you configure your system to limit the number of messages maintained in a particular directory. I think funny things can happen on ext2 filesystems when directory nodes contain >2^15 entries.

Okay, fetchmail, with exim4/spamassassin using maildir format (maildir
format? ) is that like .mbox?
Any folder I setup could contain avg 20k emails each, easy.

Could I have fetchmail or whatever, check the folders, and if there too
much emails
make another folder like abc, abc1, abc2...etc ?

The end results, is to handle thousands of email daily with out the fear
of any mailbox format
going corrupt (aka.mbox) and so, my quest, for the right solutions being.
pure text format, is great, because the email is not in any format
(mailbox).

Sql maybe a option?

Rich